A Slimmer Thanksgiving
The average Thanksgiving dinner contains 2,000-3,000 calories; here are some tips to slim down your Thanksgiving Day meals so you can focus on enjoying time with your friends and family.
10 tips to a slimmer Thanksgiving:
1. Eat a Healthy Breakfast- to keep you from overeating later. Try 2 slices of Turkey Bacon and 2 scrambled eggs with 1 slice of whole-wheat toast with 1 tsp of butter.
2. Choose Appetizers Wisely- stick with fresh veggies and low fat dip instead of nuts or cheese and crackers.
3. Eat Slowly- enjoy your meal and savor every bite.
4. Use a Smaller Plate and do not put food on the table (serve buffet style)- this can cut your calorie intake as much as 50%.
5. Choose White Meat over dark- trim off the skin to trim calories and fat.
6. Beware of High Fat Side Dishes- if possible; offer to bring dishes to pass that are lower in fat. Or, take a small spoonful size serving of stuffing and potatoes but load up on vegetables. Pile the plate with salad topped with oil and vinegar dressing. Pass on the rolls…the refined carbohydrates offer little satisfaction, have loads of calories and create dangerous insulin spikes.
7. Watch the Alcohol Consumption- wine is fine but dilute with sparkling water to cut down on the calories. Beware that drinking during the Thanksgiving Football Game lowers your ability to make wise food choices when presented with lots of high calorie options.
8. Be dessert savvy… Pumpkin pie- 1 slice = 316 cal; Pecan pie- 1 slice = 503 cal; Apple pie- 1 slice = 411 cal.
9. Walk it off- go for a walk or play some football in the yard. The fresh air is great for refreshing your body after cooking and eating all day. So, get moving!
10. Make healthy leftovers- instead of turkey sandwiches; use the remaining turkey to make a pot of soup with fresh chunky vegetables.